In the immediate weeks following a baby’s arrival, a new mother needs extra care, including partner and family support. Labor and childbirth are physically demanding, as is breastfeeding and looking after a newborn baby. Our services below aim to
help you adjust to life with a newborn.
Breastfeeding Support Groups
Breastfeeding is sometimes a challenging experience for new mothers. Our certified lactation consultants facilitate groups in a casual, come-as-you-please setting to help women enjoy the breastfeeding experience. Moms are welcome to bring any female along for additional support, and there is no fee or any obligation.
To hear a list of our Breastfeeding Support Group locations, please call (205) 877-1978.
We’re proud to have developed meaningful relationships with local businesses, whose products and services are all designed to make life with a newborn a little easier, so you can spend more time enjoying it with your new family. Ask us about these
new partnerships, which include everything from grocery delivery with Shipt to discounts from local merchants like Cookie Fix, Swaddle and more during your Birth Navigator session.
The Lactation Center provides a number of programs and services to mothers. Some of the services include:
- Office consultation for mothers-to-be who are considering breastfeeding and for mothers who have already begun to breastfeed.
- In-hospital assistance to provide education and help during the hospital stay.
- Medela breast pump rental for short- or long-term use.
- Sale of breastfeeding equipment including Medela Pump-In-Style and Medela nursing bras.
- Education material, including books and tapes (programs are also available for community organizations).
- Breastfeeding helpline for assistance with common problems (205) 877-1978.
- A prenatal breastfeeding class is available for expectant mothers who are considering or have already decided to breastfeed. Expectant mothers who have had previous difficulty with breastfeeding may also benefit from the class. Fathers and other support
persons are encouraged to attend. For information about class dates and fees call (205) 877-8800.